Wednesday 23 April 2008

Walking round the garden


No gardening for me today but I did take my customary 'tour'. The Bergenias (pictured) are now flowering as is Ajuga reptans which is growing in both of my winter hanging baskets. The latter has wonderful deep purple/bronze leaves and the deepest blue flower spikes. Its trailing habit makes it ideal for hanging baskets and I'm surprised more people don't use it. My baskets also have Cyclamen, trailing Violas and a dwarf Hebe in them.
The Aquilegia Vulgaris seeds I sowed last year are coming on leaps and bounds. The plants are well over 2' high now with lots of flower spikes. They should be out in a matter of days and if they are the gorgeous blue I anticipate I'll post a picture.
The tadpoles are fattening up and very active. They are still feeding on the algae but I think I'll try and get hold of a bit of pond weed for them soon.
On the edibles front there are lots of flowers on the Strawberries and the autumn fruiting Raspberries have a number of new shoots. All the herbs are putting on new growth and the Radishes, Spring Onions and Greek Cress are romping away.
Georgie

No comments: