Sunday 20 April 2008

Greenhouse


This is my main mini greenhouse (I have a four-shelf plastic one too) where I over-winter seedlings and cuttings and grow on the more tender plants before hardening them off. It's unheated but because it's sheltered against a south facing wall it's frost free. The photo was taken this time last year but it's just as full this year, if not more so! I've got three types of Radish, Spring Onions and Greek Cress in there, all of which have germinated over the last few days. On the flower front there are lots of Pelargonium and Fuchsia cuttings and an array of seeds and seedings.

Today I got the hosepipe out and gave all my pots a thorough soaking. As there are about 130 of them this takes some time. But it's a good thing to have to do really because it gives me a chance to inspect every plant for any signs of pest or disease. I also make a mental note of anything which needs potting on, moving to a different position, pruning etc. In the border I gave the Ivy and Rosemary a bit of a trim and cut out dead wood on the Jasmine.

This evening I pricked out the Basil and Hyssop seedlings and just about found room for them on the window sill. There's still an awful lot of seeds to sow but there's time - I hope!

Georgie


No comments: