Wednesday 30 April 2008

Alliums


I am very fond of Alliums and always on the look out for new varieties to try. So I was interested to read about Allium Tuberosum in a catalogue from Broadleigh Gardens a while back. The description called the plant 'Chinese Chives' and said it had sweetly-scented white flowers, beloved of butterflies. I didn't want anything else from that particular catalogue so added the plant to my wish list.
Yesterday I was reviewing my wish list and decided to research suppliers of the plant. To my surprise I discovered that Chinese Chives are also known as Garlic Chives, something I've been growing for years (and pictured above). Imagine, with postage and packing I could have spent £9 on three plants I already have!
This is the strongest example I've come across so far for learning the botanical names of plants. I'm trying, and this eposide has made me even more determined.
Georgie

No comments: