Wednesday 9 April 2008

Honesty out and other surprises



Okay, it doesn't look this good yet but I was surprised to find the first flowers on my Honesty today. I love this plant because it attracts beneficial insects, is happy in sun or semi-shade and the seed pods are fabulous either left on the plant or picked for dried flower arrangements.

Another suprise today was to see that my two new Dicentra Spectabilis f. alba plants are in flower and Allium Purple Sensation and Nectaroscorum (Allium Bulgaricum) are well in bud. These are all at least a month early.

I was relieved to see that the Nicotiana Affinis White and Heliotrope Hybrid Marine seedlings I pricked out yesterday had survived the night in the mini greenhouse. I wasn't so concerned about the temperature but the tiny slugs and snails who somehow always find their way in when there is something new and tasty to eat!

The strawberry runners I rooted last year and over-wintered in the mini greenhouse are well into flower now. It was warm here today so they were left outside for a few hours and were soon visited by the hoverflies. The parent plants on the other hand which have been outside all winter are tiny in comparison with not a flower bud in sight.

Georgie

No comments: