Monday 7 April 2008

Planning the veg plot


Apart from some perennial herbs in the sunny border, I grow all my edible plants in pots. Some things like Beetroot, Mint, Radishes and Watercress are happy in the semi-shade but the rest have to compete for space in the sun in an area about six feet by five feet.
I have started off the Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Chillies, Physalis and Basil indoors. The Strawberries, dwarf Broad Beans, Chives, Garlic Chives and Thyme are already growing from last year so now it's time to think about what else I can squeeze in. Looking at my seed box I see I've accumulated two types of dwarf French Beans, two climbing French Beans, Runner Bean Hestia (another dwarf), Pea Half Pint and three types of Spring Onions. I think it's going to be a tight fit!
I grew the peas in hanging baskets last year and that was quite successful as it had the added bonus of keeing the slugs and snails off. I think I'll do that again. I've not tried climbing French beans before so I think I'll plant them in half-barrels. The varieties I've got are both purple podded types so I might try under-planting them with Greek Basil (which is a lovely bright green) and purple leaved Basil. I'll let the herbs flower to attract pollinating insects.
Georgie

No comments: