Tuesday 8 April 2008

Attracting Butterflies and Moths



I try my best to attract these beautiful creatures into my garden. I already grow Ivy, Honeysuckle, Lavender, Honesty, Pansies, Primroses, Verbena Bonariensis, Evening Primrose, Sweet Rocket, Agastache, Buddleia, Daisies, Sedum, Oregano, Thyme, Hyssop and Nicotiana, and this year I'm adding Cuckooflower, Garlic Mustard and Lady's Bedstraw. Someone has also suggested Asclepia tuberosa so I'll have to see if I can lay my hands on a few seeds.

There is no room to let a patch of lawn go wild so I'm going to sow some grass seed in an old window box in the hope of encouraging some to breed. In the scheme of things I find caterpillars do relatively little damage in the garden and a few damaged leaves isn't a high price to pay for the colourful adults in the summer.

Geogie

No comments: