Friday 18 April 2008

It's a wild world














The tadpoles are just about big enough to photograph now as you can see from the pictures. They are busy eating the algae and far too numerous to count.
The garden is buzzing with honey bees and bumble bees and there are quite a few hoverflies around too which is good news. The current 'magnet' flowers are Pulmonaria, Honesty, Hyacinth, Cyclamen and Pelargonium Quercifolium.
The new bird feeding station I put up a few weeks ago is attracting regular visits from a pair of wood pigeons and a flock of starlings: the sparrows seem to prefer the Pyrocantha in the front garden. But to my amazement today I saw a pair of magpies on the feeder. They swooped down to the open tray, took a mouthful each of the moistened wholemeal bread I'd put out and flew off again. They did this three times in the space of a few minutes. I've seen magpies around but I've never had them in the garden before.
Georgie

No comments: