Friday 23 May 2008

Won't be long now


I was thrilled to see that the first of the fruits on my Strawberry plants are beginning to ripen. This plant is from a runner I rooted last year and which I kept in the greenhouse over winter. I'd heard that keeping plants undercover leads to earlier crops and this has certainly proved the case for me. The parent plants (which were left outside all winter) are still only at the flowering stage.
It looks like the next crop I'll be harvesting is Tomato Micro. Last year I grew these on the kitchen windowsill but this year they have been moved to the greenhouse to make room for other things. The fruits are only the size of small marbles but what they lack in size they make up for in taste.
All five of my Cucumber plants are growing well. I only need three - which I intend to plant out over the weekend - but I'll keep the spares back in reserve 'just in case'.
The three Pineapple Physallis are also nice and sturdy now with a number of flowers on each plant. I hope to get these planted out too as they are getting too tall for the greenhouse.
On the ornamental front the Aquilegia McKana Hybrids are now beginning to open, there are buds on Passiflora Caerulea and the Nasturtium Milk Maid seeds have germinated.
Georgie

No comments: