Sunday 11 May 2008

Things are really taking off


It's amazing what difference a few sunny days has made to the garden: everything has suddenly put on a huge growth spurt. The first bract on my Arum Italicum opened today. These plants do well in shade and the red fruits in summer are stunning. The Sage is covered in buds, as are the Chives, and the dwarf Broad Beans 'the Sutton' are in flower. The Raspberries are over a foot high now and I spotted the first buds on the Physalis 'Pineapple'. Seed heads are also beginning to form on Briza Maxima and Blue Fescue.
On the wildlife front I spotted my first Large Red Damselfly of the year, first Cabbage White butterfly and lots more Holly Blues. There is still no sign of any Orange-tips, even though the Garlic Mustard is in flower. I live in hope. The tadpoles continue to grow but I couldn't get a decent picture of them today.
The Borage, Calendula, Mustard and Sunflower seeds sown on 4 May have all germinated and I've sown Ipomoea 'Alba' which is supposedly scented. I've started hardening off the Cucumbers and Physalis so in a week's time the veg patch will really begin to take shape.
Georgie

No comments: