Thursday 15 May 2008

Rainy day jobs


This is Aquilegia Clementine White just opening. It's the only survivor from a number of plants I grew from seed last year (the slugs took the rest) and I think it looks particularly good growing through the Rue which is just coming into bud. I hope to collect seed later in the year.
The latest seeds to germinate are Licquorice (I'm growing it for the foliage) and Pennisetum alopecuroides (an ornamental grass). Today I pricked out the purple Basil, Borage, Calendula and Cuckooflower into 3" pots and potted on the Sweet Basil into 5" pots, moving the latter to the greenhouse.
I was pleased to see that the two Fuchsia Hawkshead cuttings I struck a couple of weeks ago have both rooted well and I've potted them up into individual pots. I wish I had the same success with Purple Sage. In previous years I've found that various Sages root easily in water but for some reason the cuttings I took a few weeks back have done nothing. So I've taken more today and again popped them in a wine glass of water on the kitchen window sill. Fingers crossed.
Georgie

No comments: