Thursday 8 May 2008

Hurrah!


At last the first Tradescantia flower is out (pictured). The colour is so vivid that it stands out from quite a long way away and I think it looks particularly fetching against the Dicentra Formosa foliage.
This morning I received two lovely things in the post. The first was 10 Gladiolus Callianthus bulbs from a friend. I tried growing these once before but they failed so I'm hoping for better luck this time. According to my RHS book they are prone to all sorts of pests and diseases so they will probaby need a bit of tlc. The second was three free plug plants of giant Fuchsias - one each of Devonshire Dumpling, Royal Mosaic and Rocket Fire. I've potted them into small pots for now in the 'overspill' greenhouse until I have a chance to do more research on their growing habits and needs.
I potted on the three Fuchsia Lady Boothby plants and set them in their final position against the fence on the shady path. Last year they reached 7' high and were flowering well into the autumn and I'm hoping for a similar display this year.
I was pleased to spot the first fruit on one of my Tiny Tim Tomato plants today. They've looked a bit limp since I moved them into the greenhouse but that could be due to the heat. I'll keep them outdoors in the semi shade for a few days I think.
Finally I saw that the Basil Purple Ruffles and Physalis Violet seeds I sowed on 4 May have germinated already! Let's hope these do better than the ones I sowed earlier.
Georgie

No comments: