Monday 5 May 2008

Wild Things


The tadpoles seem to like the pond weed I bought for them and are getting quite fat. The picture shows just a few of them and I remain hopeful that some will reach full maturity.
There was still very little sign of growth on the my three Lady Boothby Fuchsias so I decided to discard them in favour of the healthy looking cuttings I'd taken. As soon as I knocked the old plants out I discovered the reason why - vine weevils. These nasty little pests can be a big problem when growing things in pots but they were soon squished. It's partly my own fault because I am not peat free when it comes to potting mediums and I gather vine weevils love peat. I must move to peat free compost soon I think.
The other bad news is that the only ladybirds I've spotted all year are Harlequins. They are easy to tell apart from our native ladybirds because they are considerably bigger. But they do good as well as harm so I've decided to leave them be. Like the Lily Beetle before them they seem to be spreading across the country and there's nothing I can do about it.
Georgie

No comments: