Saturday 2 May 2009

Busy week


The weather has been warm and sunny for most of the week so it's been a busy time in the garden tidying up, cutting the grass, reorganising the containers (now that the Narcissus and Tulips have finished) and sowing seeds, pricking out and potting on.
Ornamentals
The picture shows four of the six plants I bought last weekend now sited in my shady corner. Clockwise from top left they are Polemonium, Cimisifuga, Polygonium and Ajuga. I'm really pleased with how well they look together. Out of the picture and also in bloom now are Lily of the Valley and the Bluebells are just showing signs of flower stems. Meanwhile in the sunny border the Aquilegia vulgaris and Alliums are beginning to open and there are buds on the Cotoneaster.
Edibles
The Potatoes have had their final earthing up, all 10 of the Broad Beans have germinated and I have the second flower out on my Peas. There are lots of flowers on the Strawberries and the autumn Raspberry canes are about 30cm high. In the greenhouse the Chillies, Physallis, Ornamental salad leaves and Radishes have put on good growth and the Tomatoes continue to thrive on the kitchen windowsill.
Wildlife
The wood pigeons continue to visit the bird feeder and I've seen a couple of sparrows in the Jasmine. Apart from the small and large whites it was nice to see a Holly Blue butterfly on the Ivy yesterday. I've had to dispose of two Lily beetles this week and there is still no sign of any native ladybirds. In the pond the Brooklime is growing 'a mile and minute' and is starting to flower and at last I've spotted my first tadpole. The hoverflies and honey bees also enjoy visiting for a drink so it's been a success so far.
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

Your new plants do look good together. I have a Polemonium in my front garden.

It sounds like you have alot going on in your garden at the moment. We've had a week of rain so I haven't been up to much in my garden this week.

Carole said...

I'll tell you what, Jo, send that rain down here we need it! We've had a few clouds today and once or twice I've thought we were in for a down pour but it hasn't happened yet. Looks like I might have to go out and water again later.

G x

Flighty said...

It's all sounding, and looking good!
I made the most of the good weather by plotting every day.
Honeybees drink from my pond as well, and I saw one blue butterfly among the white and brown ones.