Monday 11 May 2009

Tadpoles and other pond life


I spotted a couple of my tadpoles today - they are hard to see now the pond plants have established - and managed to get this close up shot. It is eating algae around one of the plant baskets but I also noticed it seemed to be chasing the small brown things you can see in the picture which I believe are mosquito/midge larvae. I hadn't noticed the white things when I took the photo but they also appear to be some form of wildlife. The roots on the right of the picture are escaping from the pot of Brooklime which is growing like Topsy and has tiny blue star-like flowers. It's very popular with the hoverflies and ground spiders.
Georgie

6 comments:

Flighty said...

Good photo!
Sadly I've none in my ponds but have spotted some insect life. xx

Carole said...

Thanks. Can you recommend a good book for identifying pond wildlife?

G x

Jo said...

It sounds like your pond plants are growing well, as mine are. It's good to know they have got established.

I'm hoping that the tadpoles manage to turn into frogs this year. It should help that they have something a little bigger to live in.

Flighty said...

I wish I could as I could do with one myself! I'm sure that there is so I'll have a look round and let you know if I find one. xx

Carole said...

Hi Jo, it's good to hear that your pond plants are also thriving. If you want a cutting of Brooklime I'd be happy to send you some. As for the taddies turning into frogs - here's hoping. :D

Hi Flighty. I've asked for recommendations on Shoot so hopefully at some point we'll find the useful book we need. :)

G x

Jo said...

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to see just how far the plants I already have fill out, and if there is a gap needing filling I would quite like one of the very small waterlilies which can be grown in a small pond.
Jo.