Saturday 9 May 2009

Spent all day in the garden


It's been a perfect day for gardening here today - sunny and not too hot - so I have taken full advantage of it.
Flowers
The photo is of Aquilegia Clementine White which has come out this week. It's one of the shorter Aquilegias at only about 40cm tall but I love the flowers, particularly the green colouring on the tips of the petals. I grow it in front of Rue which, with its blue/green leaves, makes a lovely backdrop.
The scented Pelargoniums I grew from cuttings were taking over the greenhouse (they are in full flower) so I bit the bullet, potted some of them on, and put them outside on the patio. I think they should be okay but I've left some in the greenhouse in case I'm unlucky and we get a late frost.
Herbs
I'm no fan of garden centre chains as a rule but I must give credit when it's due. A month or two back I picked up good sized pots of Sage, Tricolour Sage, Mint and Thyme which were priced at £2.99 each or four for £10 at Wyvale. I normally grow my herbs from seeds or cuttings but at the time I was looking for for a bit of instant colour. Anyway I'm delighted to say that all the plants are thriving and have pretty much doubled in size already.
Having completely ruined my Par-cel plant, the slugs/snails have now started munching on my Parsely and Hyssop. Thankfully the plants aren't ruined but I am not best pleased. On a brighter note, the Chives I potted on earlier in the year are a mass of buds so I'm looking forward to the delicate flowers any day now.
I have no idea why, but my self-saved Sweet Basil seeds failed to germinate this year. Thankfully a kind poster on A4A was able to let me have some spare seeds and she also kindly sent me some Sweet Cicely seeds to try. This plant is said to attract bees and butterflies and is happy in semi-shade which is a bonus.
Edibles
I've had yet another reorganisation! I've moved my new pot stand - which houses six Strawberry plants - away from the veg plot and sited it on the patio next to the kitchen door. This is for two reasons: I'm concerned about the birds/slugs/snails eating the fruit in the veg plot area and also having the plants just outside the kitchen door means I'll be able to spot the ripe fruits more quickly and it doesn't take up much room.
The Peas have been a failure! I've sown seeds in succession but every one - save two - have been eaten by the snails. I didn't plan to grow any this year because I always have this problem (not to mention powdery mildew and never being able to grow enough) but someone sent me some seeds to try. I've had three flowers so far and two have now formed little pods so I'll savour what I get!
The Potatoes are triffids! They are over 90cm tall now and I'm told they will be ready to havest in two weeks - I can't wait. The Onions and Broad Beans are also doing well and I'm harvesting Oriental salad leaves for sandwiches. But I still haven't sown my Cucumber and Courgette seeds!
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

It's so good when the weather is kind and you are able to get out into the garden. It's been really windy here last week, but the weekend has been much better gardening weather.

I quite enjoy going to Wyevales. We don't have one close by but there's one in York which isn't that far away. I like to go at the end of the season as they have all their seeds at 50p per packet, including the multi packs. I got my Sweet Peas last year, five varieties for 50p.

I'm sorry to hear that your peas aren't doing so well. Mine have gone in at the allotment and I've covered them with netting. They seem to be doing ok at the moment.

I would have moved the plant stand too. It's too nice to keep on the veg patch, you want it somewhere where it can be admired each time you pass.

Flighty said...

Another enjoyable read about a busy, and productive, day.
I'm not growing peas as a couple of plot neighbours reckoned it's not worth the effort. Perhaps next year.
I can't wait to see how your potatoes have done either! xx

Carole said...

Hi Jo

Thanks for the sympathy and I hope you have a lovely crop of Peas. I must say the stand does look good where I have it now but I do need more space on the veg plot. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up another similar stand next time I go to an event at Capel Manor.

Hi Flighty

Thanks for your kind words. You cannot beat picking and eating your own Peas but unless you have lots of space - and I know you only have a half allotment - then it really isn't worth it in my opinion. I've even tried 'Half Pint' but they were disappointing too.

G x