Monday 25 May 2009

Ups and downs


The garden is filling up nicely now - I think May/June are my favourite months - but why oh why haven't we had any of the rain we were promised? There was a five minute shower and that was it and the skies are clear again. Needless to say I've spent a lot of time watering again.
I've done a fair bit of potting on over the last two days and started the tedious job of giving the container plants a feed. The upside of this task is that I noticed that several of the hardy Fuchsias, Lilies and even the Raspberries have flower buds on them. The down side is noticing the leaf damage on several plants, such as powdery mildew on the Ajuga and Monarda and what I suspect is the work of caterpillars on the Photinia. The strangest thing is that the Rosemary beetles are feasting on the Sage and totally ignoring their name sake plant. Strange eh?
As I have a seed glut I decided to broadcast some in the 'wild area' next to the shed and in the containers at the end of my driveway. I used Poppy, Knautia, Sunflower, Calendula, Scabiosa and Nasturtiums. And to my delight I saw that Borage, Honesty and Lychnis (Rose Campion) have also self-seeded in these areas - one less lot of seeds to worry about!
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

Your garden is looking lovely. There's lots of flowers out too.
We had a downpour last night but it's sunny again today.

Carole said...

Thanks Jo. We had our first rain for weeks last night and I was so pleased I went out and stood in it for a few minutes! Sunny again today here too.

G x

Flighty said...

More rain today as well. Everything will be really growing away after this! xx