Sunday 3 May 2009

Comparision to this time last year


This blog is proving a useful tool. Earlier in the year the spring bulbs were about four weeks late blooming compared to last year but after such a warm April, and reading back over my entries for early May 2008, I see that everything has caught up.
The photo is of the first of the Alliums almost fully open. This particular one is growing through white Honesty which makes a pleasing combination. There were a few more Aquilegia flowers open today and I was delighted to see that the first of the Eucomis are peeping above the soil - including those I over-wintered in their pot in the greenhouse.
I sowed a second container of Beetroot today and potted on two Tomato Whippersnappers before moving them to the greenhouse. I didn't get around to sowing any seeds though, so that's a job for tomorrow. It's time to start the Cucumbers and Courgettes I think.
I was sent some Fuchsia Magellanica cuttings recently by a kind chap on A4A. I've got two varieties and so I've decide to try rooting half of each in water and the rest have been planted in compost. There's no sign of any roots yet on the ones in water but they look healthy enough. Fingers crossed.
Finally, a word about my 'slug resistant' Hostas. These bared-rooted specimens were planted last autumn. 'Big Daddy' and 'Tokudama' are doing really well with a good few leaves and no sign of any slug damage. But 'Invincible' is far less healthy at the moment with some definite signs of nibbling. They are all in 10 inch pots topped with gravel but with no special protection. It's fun to experiment.
Georgie

4 comments:

Jo said...

I'm growing Alliums for the first time this year. They're in bud at the moment but no sign of them bursting into flower yet.

The Micro Tomato plant which you kindly sent me seeds for is in flower though. There's also the first sign of a tomato growing.

I'm glad to hear that you've managed to track down the Fuchsia's you were after. You'll have to keep me informed how they go on.

I don't seem to have any problems with my Hosta's being nibbled my slugs (touch wood). They're in containers which are topped with gravel, but they are on the patio rather than on soil or grass so perhaps this is what's making the difference.

Carole said...

Hi Jo. Good to hear your toms and Hostas are doing well. And just wait until your Alliums flower - you'll be hooked!

G x

Flighty said...

I'm going to try growing cucumbers from seed outside this year, which is my fun experiment this year! xx

Carole said...

Hi Flighty. Wow, that sounds like a challenge, I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I have to admit I wouldn't try it here because of the snails (who at the moment are munching on my peas) so I always start my Cues off indoors and plant them out once they have a good few leaves.

G x