Saturday 23 May 2009

Trying to catch up


Apart from watering the container plants indoors and out, today was the first day I've done any real gardening for a while so I've packed a lot in. Fortunately the weather was glorious - sunny but not too hot - and I was out there pretty much all day until my back told me it was time to stop!
Wildlife
I've heard it said that a garden with spiders is a healthy garden. I don't know if it's true but I do hope so as mine is teeming with them. And look what I saw today. The tent web in the photo - at least I think that's what it's called - was on an Ivy leaf and contained too many baby spiders to count. I'd like to learn more about spiders as I find them fascinating creatures. But I think it'll have to go on the ever-growing list of things to do when I retire!
I am so chuffed with my eldest granddaughter. She was two years old in March and already has a keen interest in the garden. She was out there yesterday pottering around whilst I was in the kitchen and suddenly I heard her shouting: what's that? I looked over and saw her looking up into the Buddleia. I assumed she'd seen a bird or butterfly but when I reached her she was staring intensely at a 14-spot ladybird. I think it's amazing that she'd spotted something so small and was prepared to just stand and watch until I got to her side. Then when she came today for a brief visit she wanted to go straight in the garden. When we reached the Buddleia she pointed and said: that's the ladybird bush! Bless her.
At long last my bird feeder is attracting more species. Today I saw sparrows and blue tits enjoying the fat balls and possibly a great tit but I can't be certain. It made a nice change from the wood pigeons.
I spent a while watching the pond and now I know I have at least two very fat tadpoles. No sign of their back legs yet but I don't think they can be far off. There are lots of other tiny creatures in there too but I have no idea what they are. I really must get a book about pond life.
The bees are delighted that the Chives are now in flower although they still love the Aquilegias and the Pulmonaria. And there was a Hornet on the Brooklime but sadly I didn't have my camera at the time.
Ornamentals
I cut and edged the grass for only the second time this year - it's been so dry - sowed Ipomoea direct in the sunny border, potted on a Passiflora, noticed I have flower buds on one of my other Passifloras (and a flower spike on Hosta Tokudama), potted on Fuchsia Ant and Dec and pricked out Knautia and Aquilegia Clementine White seedlings. I also moved around some of the containers on the patio - dispatching two Lily Beetles as I did so - and had to remove one of Honesty plants which was top-heavy with seed pods as it had been virtually flattened by the recent winds and was in a sorry state.
Edibles
I had a fruitless firkle for my Potatoes. I couldn't get my hand down the compost bag sufficiently so I cut a little 'door' in the side instead. But after a bit of careful scraping away of compost all I 'hit' was a stem and no sign of any tubers. Worried I might cause damage I gave up and parcel-taped the 'door' shut again. I'll leave it a week or so then empty the whole lot out instead.
I pricked out the Courgettes and Cucumbers and put some in the greenhouse and left one of each in the kitchen 'just in case'. I sowed some more Watercress as only one seedling from the previous sowing has escaped the slugs/snails. The snails are also feasting on my Broad Beans which I am very cross about but there's nothing I can do about it. As I was looking over the plants I discovered that my trailing Rosemary has set seed. I've never noticed it do this before and as some of it was ripe I gathered it and sowed it in a small pot. I also potted on the Mustard plants - these are great for attracting Hoverflies - so that meant reorganising the containers in the veg plot in order to squeeze them in. No wonder my back aches!
Georgie

6 comments:

Hosta said...

Hi Georgie,

I thought you would find some potatoes - think I better leave mine another good few weeks before having a look !!

How lovely that your grandaughter is enjoying the garden, am sure you love having a little helper in little garden. Just think, you will have two helpers as soon as her sister gets on her feet !!

Glad all the wildlife are enjoying your garden. All sounds lovely, apart from the spiders EEK !

Flighty said...

I really enjoyed reading this post!
It's great to see how interested your grand-daughter is in the garden. I feel that it's really important for young children to get involved like that.
I watched lots of black spiders sunning themselves on my log pile recently, and as you say they're fascinating.
So I've got to wait another week to see how your potatoes have done! I'm sure that there are plenty lurking just beyond reach.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend! xx

Jo said...

Your grandaughter is definitely going to take after you, being so interested in wildlife.
I'm sure when you empty the contents of your growbag out you will find lots of potatoes. The first time I grew them in a container I emptied the lot out and even then didn't think that I had got anything. They were all well hidden well into the compost and I got over 50 from three tubers.
My Ant and Dec Fuchsia isn't very well. I have been potting it on and eventually moved it into the greenhouse where I think it has overheated and got very weak growth. On top of this there is something attacking the leaves, so I have cut it right back and taken off all the unsightly leaves, so I'll just have to wait and see if it recovers.

Carole said...

Hi Hosta

Sorry I scared you with the spiders! I think there probably are potoatoes there, I was just too much of a wimp to firkle deeply! Yes, it's great that Lyssi wants to spend so much time in the garden and I don't see why Chloe shouldn't start helping as soon as she can sit up! :D

G x

Carole said...

Hi Flighty

I do hope you are right re the Potatoes. I'll brave it next weekend I promise! Lyssi has sown her own Sunflower seeds pretty much unaided (I did have to help her water them otherwise she'd have washed them all out!) and three have germinated so far. So she clearly has green fingers. :D

G x

Carole said...

Hi Jo

Thanks for the reassurance re the Pototoes. Next weekend we'll find out.

Sorry to hear your Fuchsia isn't thriving. Mine has had some aphids on it so I've put it outside now in the hope that nature will did her stuff. I'm sure you've done the right thing to cut back the badly affected leaves and I reckon it will recover. :)

G x