Monday 27 April 2009

A day off


No gardening for me yesterday as I had a day out at the Festival of Small Nurseries at the Museum of Gardening in Lambeth. In the grounds I was surprised to see many things in flower including Roses, Peonies, Geraniums, Lilac and this beautiful Calendula. I can only assume the high walls on two sides create a micro climate.
There were a fair number of stalls and despite the fact I said I'd only buy plants on my wish list, needless to say I came back with half a dozen unplanned purchases! For the semi-shaded border I bought a large Ajuga reptans, Polemonium yezoense 'Purple Rain', Cimisifuga ramosa 'Brunette' and Polygonatum biflorum. I think they all look rather attractive together. I also bought a Monarda didyma which I will grow in a container in the hope of keeping the slugs off and an Alpine Strawberry as my attempts at growing from seed this year have failed miserably.
Georgie

3 comments:

Flighty said...

It's good to see that you had a good day.
I see that you're a bit of a 'plantaholic', just like most gardeners! xx

Jo said...

Most of my purchases are unplanned. Something catches my eye and I just have to have it.

Glad you had a good day out.

Carole said...

It's just as well I went by train. Had I driven there I think I'd have come back with a boot full! :D

G x