Thursday 16 April 2009

Ornamentals


This is Tulip Pieter De Leur which has matured to a pleasing deep scarlet after a shaky start. The Wallflowers are out now as is Dicentra Formosa, much to the delight of the bees. Most of the Narcissus have gone over with the exception of 'Chinita' which has produced a second flush of flowers. And I've got a good show of flowers on Vinca minor this year after they were so poor last year.
There are buds just beginning to form on my Elder (Sambucus nigra), Sweet Rocket (Hesperis) and Aquilegia vulgaris. And some of the Allium buds are just showing the first sign of colour.
I've pricked out the Centratherum and French Lavender and moved them to the greenhouse and sowed some Tagetes to replace those I lost in my unsuccessful trial to overwinter them. Oh and the last of the Sweet Peas I sowed on 4 April are just beginning to germinate.
Georgie

3 comments:

Flighty said...

That tulip is a lovely colour and shape.
I tend to see vinca major everywhere which I know can be rather invasive.
I'll shall start sowing my sweet peas next week.
Have a good weekend!

Carole said...

Glad you like my Tulip, Flighty. :)

I've still got heaps of seeds to sow but before I do so I really must get down to some serious planning on the ornamentals front. It's the same every year - I end up with loads of plants and nowhere to put them!

G x

Hosta said...

I love red Tulips. Strangely this year I dont have any red ones in.

I am waiting for the 'spring greens' to open any day now - am looking forward to them as they look so beautiful.

Georgie, I think we all end up with far too many plants and nowhere to put them ! We gardeners just cant say no LOL.