Sunday 19 April 2009

Timmy Tiger rebels!


Just look at my daft cat. Over the last few weeks I have been gradually cat-proofing my sunny border (adding cocoa shell mulch, Pyracantha cuttings and short sticks to protect young plants and seeded areas) and today he was at a loss where to sit. So he jumped right into the middle of this Euonymous Silver Queen and I think the look on his face says it all.
With the exception of earthing up my Potatoes, today has been all about gardening for wildlife. After reviewing my seed collection I hit on a plan for the area of the sunny border next to the main veg plot. At the moment it has Ivy growing up the fence, the Euonymous Timmy is sitting in, a Buddleia trained as a standard on dwarf rooting stock, a number of Fuchsias, self-seeded Nicotiana affinis white and Crocus Ruby Giant at the front. So in the gaps from back to front I've sown seeds of Flanders Poppy, Calendula Sherbet Fizz and Nasturtium Empress of India. If they come up and flower this should attract lots of bees and hoverflies and provide a riot of colour.
Then it was on to some serious seed sowing in small pots which I put straight into the greenhouse. I sowed Oxeye Daisy, Fleabane, Hemp Agrimony, Red Valerian, Knautia, Birds Foot Trefoil, Nepeta, Mustard, Cuckooflower and Coriander. I don't really have a plan for these yet but I'm sure I'll squeeze them in somewhere.
Georgie

5 comments:

daffy said...

Hi there, just called over from Flighty's.
Timmy looks very comfy! I'm suprised he didn't get prickled.
;o)

Carole said...

Hi daffy, how lovely to see you. He found the only soft spot in the border - why he can't sit on the grass is beyond me. :D

G x

Jo said...

Awwww, I love Timmy Tiger. We had to have our old puss put to sleep a couple of years ago. I do miss him.

You're going to have a very colourful border. I love to see a riot of colour.

Flighty said...

There's something about cats and gardens isn't there!
I'm also sowing poppies, calendula and nasturtiums.
Most gardeners become very adept at squeezing them in somewhere! xx

Carole said...

Well Jo, most of the border is themed in mainly lavender blues, purples, silvers and a bit of yellow and white but the end 'quarter' is always a bit of an experiment with 'hot' colours. If it works I'll post pictures, if not, you'll here no more about it! ;)

Yes indeed, Flighty. And what we can't shoehorn in we can always give away to grateful friends and neighbours. :)

G x