Sunday 12 April 2009

Easter Sunday


Where does the time go? I thought I'd been in the garden for about an hour and a half today yet when I decided to have a little break it transpired I'd been out there for nearly four hours! And what had I been doing? It's hard to say. Too much plotting, planning and 'butterfly gardening' as I call it. Starting one thing then noticing something else which needs doing that's more interesting and thus getting distracted. So today's post will not cover everything I did ( or perhaps to be more accurate started) but I'll cover the main two areas.
Edibles
A dear friend, sadly departed for two years now, taught me to germinate my Beetroot on damp tissue paper before sowing. So I always follow this method and I was pleased to see that five days after sowing my Cylindras are up. I sowed the remainder of my Peas, Watercress (in a pot which stands in a saucer filled with water) and two lots of Broad Beans. Having read up on the Beans I sowed five each of Witkiem Vroma (kindly supplied by Flighty) and Crimson Flour'd (a heritage variety). Both are in 31cm pots filled with a 50:50 mix of peat free compost and loam.
The photo shows how quickly the main veg plot is filling up.From back left to right there are the Potatoes, Peas and Garlic Chives. Next row is two lots of Broad Beans, Red Onions and Strawberries and front Thyme, Chives, Hyssop, Mint and Parsley.
Wildlife
Despite the overcast day there were bees buzzing around the Pulmonaria and Dicentra Formosa, a few hoverflies and some strange insect landed on my greenhouse which I have yet to identify. At one point there were five wood pigeons lined up on the fence to take their turn on the bird feeders (yes I know they are far too big for them) and the starlings are so brazen they pretty much land on my head to get to the feeders! And now for the unwanted wildlife. There were tell tale signs of Lily Beetle larvae on some of my Lilies so I got out the organic gardeners' friend - a hand sprayer filled with water set to 'full blast'. A few minutes later there were no signs of the little piles which resemble bird droppings. :D
Georgie

3 comments:

Flighty said...

I don't wear my watch when I'm plotting so I'm never aware of the time!
I'll be sowing some beetroot seeds later in the week. Mine did quite well last year.
It'll be good to see how your Broad Beans do compared to mine! xx

Jo said...

Yes, the veg plot does look to be filling up quickly. It's amazing how soon the space goes at this time of year.

I keep hearing that Starling numbers are declining, but I think that it's just that they're all in my garden. The other birds don't get a look in on my bird feeder.

Carole said...

LOL Flighty we have quite a competition going don't we, what with Potatoes, Broad Beans and now Beetroot!

Jo I love the startlings, they are so comical with their greedy antics. I'm glad to get any birds in the garden and I like to think that the other birds will notice the racket and come and visit when the bullies are full.

G x