Friday 10 April 2009

Good Friday


I managed a few hours in the garden today before I was rained off - typical bank holiday!
Edibles
The photo shows the plant stand I bought last weekend and which I'm using as a Strawberry tower. I need some nicer pots for it but there's no rush. This week I've planted the remaining Onion sets, sowed the Beetroot seed I germinated on damp tissue and was delighted to see that the Liquorice I over-wintered in the greenhouse has four sturdy little shoots on it.
Ornamentals
The first of my Wallflowers is out and looking (and smelling) rather lovely with the cream and yellow Tulips. There are some nice fat buds on the Alliums (Cristophii and Purple Sensation) and the Laurentia has germinated well. I've cut out all the dead shoots off the Passiflora and in doing so I see that there are lots of leaf buds just beginning to open.
Greenhouses
The aluminium lean-to mini greenhouse is pretty much full to bursting now. But most things in there will have to stay put for a good few weeks yet before I can plant them out in larger pots.
The four-shelf plastic greenhouse was leaning to the left for no apparent reason. So I took everything out and the cover off but I still couldn't fathom the problem. So all I did was turn it round and refill it and now it's fine! Only the top shelf has plants on it at the moment so there's scope to add more plants as the kitchen windowsill gets over-crowded.
Kitchen windowsill
The over-wintered Chillies continue to flower and fruit and everything which has been pricked out so far is thriving. The next job will be pricking out the Tomatoes some time over the weekend and having a rummage in the seed box to see what needs sowing next.
Georgie

3 comments:

Flighty said...

Lucky you getting out there to do a bit!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend! xx

Jo said...

Yes, it was a typical bank holiday. I was hoping to get my spuds in but the weather dictated otherwise.

I love your plant stand. It will look lovely when there are lots of juicy strawberries dangling over the side of the pots.

Carole said...

Hi Flighty and Jo.

Hmmm, it's not very promising out there at the moment so it looks like I might be turning my kitchen into a potting shed again this morning! Hope the weather is better your way.

G x