Saturday 25 April 2009

Edibles update


These are my Swift potatoes planted on 14 March. The photo was taken today before I earthed them up for the third time. There is scope to do this once more before they reach the top of the old compost sack.
I have my first flower bud on my Peas, quite a few flowers on my Strawberries and the first of the Broad Beans Witkiem Vroma have germinated as have some of the Watercress. On the down side the snails have eaten the new shoots on the Par-cel (again) and two of the Beetroot seedlings. The red Onion sets are going great guns and there are flower buds on the Chives.
I've potted on my Parsley, Chillies and Physallis today and pricked out the Mustard seedlings which were sown last weekend. Three of the four Passiflora edulis seeds sown on 29 March have germinated and look nice and sturdy. And the Oriental salad leaves and Radish Scarlet Globe are looking good in the greenhouse. So quite a good start to the growing season I think.
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

It's a very good start. You're way ahead of me.

I've been at the allotment today. More weeding and digging.

My peas are still at the seedling stage. They've germinate in the toilet roll tubes well, so they'll be going in the ground shortly.

You're potatoes are looking good. Mine haven't poked their noses through the soil yet!

Flighty said...

My Swift potatoes are all showing but yours are way ahead I reckon!
It's noticeable at how many flowers are on the strawberries isn't it!
It won't be long before you'll be starting to feast on what you've grown!

Carole said...

Hi Jo. To be fair, I'm a lot further south than you. :) Flighty, on the other hand, doesn't have that excuse but then again he is growing on his allotment rather than spoiling his plants in containers like I do!
BTW all the broad beans I've sown are up today. :D

G x