Wednesday 15 April 2009

Edibles update


This was a welcome sight today, the first flower on one of my Alpine Strawberries. I only have two plants at the moment (from seed last year) and I'm trying to grow more this year. I lost the first ones which germinated on a hot day. The second lot I sowed have come through now so I'm keeping them more shaded. The seed is so tiny and germination rate so poor it's a labour of love but well worth the effort when you taste the fruits.
The Tomatoes, Chilies and Physallis on the kitchen windowsill are all looking healthy and the Radish and Oriental salad leaves in the greenhouse are just starting to germinate. Outside some of the Onion sets are sprouting green shoots and I earthed up the Potatoes for the first time. But something has eaten my Par-cel either a slug or snail no doubt. I'll see if it comes back but might have to sow more seed.
Finally I was surprised to find some self-seeded Tree Spinach (Chenopodium giganteum) in one of my hanging baskets. So I pricked them out into individual pots. That's one lot of seeds I don't have to sow this year.
Georgie

2 comments:

Jo said...

I succumbed and bought a wild strawberry. It's just so fiddly trying to germinate them. I bet I don't get more than a mouth full off one plant though.

Carole said...

Awww Jo, I can't say I blame you. I'm surprised you only bought the one plant - I'd have gone for half a dozen! You should get quite a few fruits but they are indeed tiny. And now my grandaughter has discovered them I'm lucky to get one, never mind a mouthful. :D

G x