Friday 20 June 2008

Making a bit more room


These are my two Chilli Trifetti plants. They have very attractive foliage and the fruits, which are just beginning to form, are a really dark shade of violet. I think it looks great next to the Chives.
My new hanging basket brackets which attach to fence posts arrived this week so I assembled them today. It only took a matter of minutes and I'm very pleased with the result. So I now have seven hanging baskets in total, mainly containing trailing Fuchsias.
Talking of Fuchsias my first to flower this year is Lady Boothby. I bought this variety for the first time last year and it reached an impressive seven foot tall in pots in the shady border. The first buds on F. Alice Hoffman also opened today and a number of other varieties are not far behind.
I have a few flowers out on the Passiflora Caerulea which I am training on wires - extended across the garden from the Forsythia to the top of the fence - to make a sort of pergola effect. I did this for the first time last year and it worked quite well. The beauty of this is that the flowers are produced at a height of about six feet so you really get to appreciate their beauty. I also have Passiflora Constance Elliot which I grew from seed last year. It seems less rigorous than P. Caerulea but has the advantage of scented flowers. I hope it blooms this year.
I had to prune back the Jasmine and Buddleia today as they are attempting to take over! Both are smothered in buds so the garden should soon be full of their heady scent. I rearranged some of the pots to make a bit more room and after harvesting some seeds, cut back some of the Aquilegia Vulgaris.
Georgie

No comments: