Saturday 21 June 2008

Edibles update and more potting on


I'm picking about half a dozen Strawberries from my six plants every day now, much to the delight of my granddaughter who wolfs them down and doesn't allow anyone else a look in. I also have two Alpine Strawberry plants which I grew from seed this year. They are putting on plenty of growth but there is no sign of them fruiting as yet. Perhaps they won't this year.
At last one of the Tomato Micro fruits is ripening so I expect the others won't be far behind. The fruits on the Tomato Tiny Tim on the other hand remain stubbornly green, even 'though there has been a fair amount of sun this week.
Chilli Sicily is now in flower but weeks behind my other varieties. As this one has the largest fruits I'm a little concerned that they won't have enough time to ripen.
The three Pineapple Physallis are looking really strong and healthy with a good number of fruits setting. These were grown from self-saved seed and I'm beginning to think that there is something in the idea that self-saved seed fairs better because it has been 'reared' to grow in the conditions it which it finds itself.
The Cucumbers are shooting up but there is no sign of any fruits as yet. I've also had to remove a number of leaves that were looking sickly with powdery mildew which is a bit strange because the plants are certainly not dry at the roots.
My Raspberries are about 4' tall now and looking very lush. There is no sign yet of any fruiting trusses but I'm not concerned as these are an Autumn fruiting variety. I've started tying them in now.
I'm not pleased with the climbing French Beans to date. Only two out of six of a variety called Blue Lake germinated then promptly keeled over and died: I suspect slugs or snails. Mr Fearn's Purple Podded have had a much better germination rate but again I've noticed a number of signs of slug/snail damage but I'm hoping they will pull though.
And finally to the potting on. Today it was the turn of Heliotrope, Laurentia and Pennisetum on the ornamental side plus Calendula, Rue, Coriander, Lemon Grass, Licquorice, Mustard, Greek Cress and Soapwort on the herb front.
Georgie

No comments: