Saturday 4 July 2009

Edibles update


I have never grown Courgettes before so I was pleasantly surprised by the size and beauty of my first flower which opened yesterday. There must be at least ten buds on both of my plants so far so hopefully it won't be too long before I get some fruits forming. They do take up a lot of room though, so the acid test will be in the taste.
I harvested my first Broad Bean pod this week: it contained three delicious beans which I ate raw. The other pods are still tiny but I'm ever hopeful that they will reach harvesting size.
Another first of the season was a ripe autumn fruiting Raspberry, hopefully the first of many from my half dozen or so canes.
I've got quite a number of good sized cherry tomatoes on Whippersnapper and Micro now but they are all still green. That said, if only half of the flowers out so far set fruit and ripen I'll be giving bags away because they are just so prolific this year.
My Strawberries have finished now so I'm waiting for the runners to put down decent roots before I discard the old plants. On the other hand the Alpine Strawberries are only just beginning to give a decent crop so they should keep my granddaughter going for a while!
I think I'm going to give up trying to grow Coriander. Of my three plants, two just wilted and died over night and the third I noticed has started to run to seed.
But to end on an positive note all my little Greek Basil plants are looking good and the one Sweet Basil plant is growing really well. I love the smell and taste so can't wait to get picking.
Georgie

4 comments:

Jo said...

My courgette plant is at the same stage as yours. It's threatening to take over the greenhouse so I think I'm going to have to move it outside.

Carole said...

LOL Jo, they are massive aren't they? Beware the slimies - I've lost a few leaves since I put my plants out.

G x

Flighty said...

A somewhat mouthwatering post! Enjoy the fruits of your labour! xx

Carole said...

Oh I intend to, Flighty. :D Can't promise to share the beans or the raspberries but I'll happily send you some toms! LOL

G x