Friday 10 July 2009

It's worth having a few spare plants


This is the 'surprise' Pansy I mentioned in my last post which came from self-saved seed of a very simple yellow-flowered plant. I think it's rather beautiful so I am going to try and breed it. I'll gather and sow seeds and also attempt some cuttings when I find out how to do them.
Thank goodness I grew two Courgette plants. The bigger of the two in the veg plot was attacked by slugs/snails and the growing tip was completely eaten away. It had about half a dozen flower buds in various stages of development but as they were all male I decided to ditch the plant. Fortunately the one in a container in the sunny border is doing well(filling the gap where I was planning to grow Ipomoea but not one seed germinated) and I think I have two female flowers although it's hard to see with all the foliage.
Removing the Courgette plant I noticed that the slugs/snails have also had a good nibble of the leaves of the Passiflora edulis I planted out in its final container last week. I'll give it a week or so to see if it recovers, otherwise I'll have to bring out the spare which is still in the greenhouse.
None of the seeds I broadcast in the sunny border have come to anything so I planted out Knautia and Red Valarian which I have been growing in small pots. If these take then the border is full for this year.
I was cross to see that two flower stems of the Monarda had been completely snapped off. The culprits are either my cat, Timmy Tiger, or the wood pigeons I think. Timmy is a large, daft and clumsy cat who is forever chasing things real or imaginary in the garden. The wood pigeons are also clumsy and the plant was rather too close for comfort to the bird feeding station so I've moved it back a few feet.
Georgie

5 comments:

Flighty said...

I really do like that Pansy! Let's hope that you, and perhaps I, get to grow some more just like it.
Fingers crossed for the courgette!
I'm going to grow some Red Valerian as butterflies love it.
Blame the pigeons rather than Timmy, or perhaps he was chasing one of them! xx

Carole said...

Thanks, Flighty.

Have you got some Red Valerian seeds or would you like me send you some when I post the other seeds on Monday?

Timmy only pretends to chase birds btw, he spends most of his time hiding from them. LOL

G x

Flighty said...

You're welcome!
Yes please some Red Valerian seeds would be much appreciated.
Our family have had cats like timid Timmy! xx

Jo said...

I've moved my courgette plant outside now as it was taking over the greenhouse. They grow so large. It's just started producing some courgettes now so I should have some to eat shortly.

Carole said...

Right oh Flighty, seeds are in the post. :)

Yes Jo, I certainly hadn't realised how bit they get. I checked again this morning and I have two fruits so far, about 5-8cm long. Hope the slimies don't notice!

G x