Sunday 26 July 2009

The rain held off


This is the second of the three types of 'experimental' hanging baskets I'm growing this year, with Dianthus 'Siberian Blues' replacing the Cyclamen from the winter arrangement.
Today's gardening started with yet more seed sowing, this time Parsley, Chives, Hesperis, Radish and Spring Onions. I took half a dozen cuttings of scented Pelargonium 'Candy Dancer' and after giving the Tricolour Sage a 'haircut', I put about 10 cuttings in a glass of water to root. I have no need for 10 new plants of course but if more than a couple take then I'll pass them on to anyone who can use them.
I rearranged some of the containers (again!) and as I did so, I found quite a number of snails lurking. I threw them in the sack of woody cuttings for recycling and hope they don't escape! I also discovered that the slimies had completely eaten one of the Nepeta plants (which was about 30cm tall) leaving just the stalk. On the other hand the last of the Calendula plants - which I thought they'd also completely ruined - has made a come back and has three flower buds, one just beginning to show some colour. It's in the area I now refer to as 'the sanctuary', a narrow passageway which runs down the side of the house where I have one of the greenhouses and my potting bench, pots, compost etc. It's concreted there so less 'slimy friendly' and it's the only place where I can grow Tagetes with a reasonable chance of success.
But the main job of the day has been painstakingly pulling out all the dead flower heads from my various grasses. This must have taken the best part of two hours but it was well worth it as they look a lot better for it. I've saved some seeds which I'll offer in a swap on A4A.
Georgie

6 comments:

Jo said...

You've been busy again. Unfortunately the rain didn't hold off here, so I didn't get to the allotment today, or out in the garden. I decided instead to sort through my seeds and surprised myself with the amount I've got. I've sorted some which are out of date, and others which I've got too many of and will be offered for swaps.
Regarding the Hesperis which you have sown today, do you sow them now to flower next year? I've been looking in the garden centres for some seeds but they don't seem to stock them.
The dianthus looks really good with the grass. It's a lovely shade.

Flighty said...

I really like that hanging basket combination!
I wasn't able to do any plotting over the weekend and today when I am it's raining! Typical! xx

Carole said...

Hi Jo

Yes, I sow the Hesperis now for flowers next year. I've got lots of spare seeds so I'll send you some with the Dicentra which should be ready to send soon. Would you like some of the Dicentra seeds as well ?

Hi Flighty

Oh that is bad luck. It's very damp here too today. Let's hope it brightens up later.

G x

Carole said...

Eek! Jo, I meant Dianthus seeds of course!

G x

Jo said...

That's really kind Georgie. Thank you. I have Dianthus in the garden, but not that shade, so that would be lovely. Do you sow those now too, or wait until next year?

Carole said...

You're welcome, Jo. You can sow the seeds in autumn or next spring - they are first year flowering which is handy.

G x