Tuesday 28 July 2009

Having a rest


I've caught a nasty cold so I'm resting at home today. But the sun came out this afternoon so I decided to take a walk down the garden 'to clear my head'. There were lots of small and large white butterflies around but what caught my eye was a number of speckled bush-crickets, the one pictured is on a Tomato plant. I've always wondered what the difference was between a cricket and a grasshopper but my trusted guide to British insects put me straight. Crickets have fine, hair-like antennae, often longer than their bodies whereas grasshoppers have much shorter, fatter antennae. You learn something every day. Time for another lie down now!
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, Georgie. You overdid it at the weekend, I felt quite worn out just reading about it.

Flighty said...

I was on the plot this morning and it was noticable just how many white butterfies were around!
I'll have to keep an eye out for crickets and grasshoppers now that I've learnt the difference between them.
Take care! xx

Carole said...

Hi Jo and Flighty and thanks for your good wishes. I'm pretty certain that you don't catch a nasty cold from 'over doing it' in the garden but it might well explain the aches and pains I guess. Anyway I'm feeling a bit brighter this evening so I should be back to work tomorrow.

G x