Monday 13 July 2009

A trip to the Nursery


I needed a few bits and pieces - seed compost, organic tomato feed, pea shingle and six ornamental containers for my pot stand - so I took a trip to my favourite nursery, Clockhouse, opposite Forty Hall, yesterday. Sadly they didn't have six suitable matching containers and slightly disappointed, I decided to treat myself to this beautiful Fuchsia instead. It's a hardy bush type called Gartenmeister Bonstedt and is already over 60cm tall. I love everything about it from the distinctive leaf colouring and the ruby red stems to the wonderful coral/brick colour of the flowers and the way they hang in bunches. (It's very similar to 'Thalia', a Fuchsia I've always admired but never thought about buying before.) I've placed it at the house end of the shady border to replace two Lilies which have just finished flowering.
I gave all the edible plants a good liquid feed yesterday. I haven't bothered with this in the past because I always add a slow release granular feed to the containers at the start of the season but I thought I'd give it a go and see if it makes any difference to the yields. I think I'm doing this partly because I'm slightly sceptical about the peat free compost after the low yields with the first early potatoes and partly because everything I read seems to suggest regular 'quick acting' fertilisers.
I've continued pruning back the Buddleia and Jasmine as the flowers go over because both continue to grow at an alarming rate. Newly in flower this week are Eucomis, Lily White Paradise, Passiflora and Fuchsias Hawkshead and Rocket Fire. The Agapanthus will be out any day and I have tiny buds just appearing on Centratherum and Heliotrope.
I'm still harvesting a variety of seeds although my Wallflowers seem to be taking forever to dry properly. And it's cutting time for lots of plants. I've taken a dozen from the prostrate Rosemary as I have it in mind to try them in the winter hanging baskets with Violas and Bronze Carex, both of which I'll grow from seed. (The Violas are already pricked out into modules and I'll sow the Carex this week.) The next task will be taking scented Pelargonium cuttings and then Fuchsias, as I find non-flowering stems.
Georgie

6 comments:

Lorna said...

Hi Georgie.As you know I love Fuchsias and your new one seems lovely. I see you have put it in a border. Do you have any trouble "settling in" the bigger plants you buy?

Jo said...

My wallflowers are still flowering. They seem to be going on and on.
Your new fuchsia is lovely. I thought it looked a bit like Thalia. I usually buy small plants and allow them to grow on at home, but it's so nice to have instant gratification sometimes, isn't it?

Flighty said...

As busy as ever I see!
Fushias are wonderful plants and that one looks to be real beauty!
That's an impressive list of plants flowering, or about to, which must be so pleasing to see when you wander round. xx

Carole said...

Hi Lorna

Glad you've remembered your password! ;)

The plant is in the 'shady border' which is in fact my old path covered in containers. I brought it home in a 25cm container and potted it up to a 30cm one. I always water them well before potting on and make sure they are well firmed in (and watered of course) in their new containers. I follow the same routine for anything that I plant in the 'proper border' but I add a sprinkling of bonemeal and so far I've not had any problems.

G x

Carole said...

Hi Jo. It's not like me to buy in such a huge plant either but as you say, the occasional bit of instant gratification cetainly lifts the spirits. :D

G x

Carole said...

Thanks, Flighty, I must admit I'm pleased with the flowers so far this year. When I came back from work tonight two huge flowers of Lily Nipon were out and smelling divine. I can't think of a much better way to say welcome home. :)

G x