Saturday 27 June 2009

Wildlife update




I have lots of ladybird larvae in my garden this year (first photo) and they are turning into ladybirds like the one shown in the second photo. At first glance they look like 14 spots but I'm pretty certain that they are Harlequins as they are too big for our native species.
The Buddleia has been out for about a week but the only butterflies I've seen are large whites. I'm really disappointed. On the other hand I'm still getting plenty of bees and hoverflies so it's not all bad news.
I have not seen my second froglet all week so it's either dead or it's turned into a frog and hopped out of the pond. I do hope it's the latter. The pond plants look healthy but there is no sign yet of seed heads on the Typha Minima.
And on the bird front the only regular visitors are the pair of wood pigeons who are eating me out of house and home! They are comical though and their regular visits cheer me up, if only because they take absolutely no notice of my cat who sits under the feeder lashing his tail at them and mewing pitifully!
Georgie

4 comments:

Flighty said...

Be thankful that ladybird larvae aren't this big!
http://www.londondailynaturephoto.co.uk/index.php?showimage=765
I hope that your second froglet has survived.
I don't mind wood pigeons but I don't grow much that they really like! xx

Jo said...

No seed heads on the Typha Minima here either. I do hope we get some though.
I've hardly seen any butterflies about this year at all. I don't know about the bee numbers in decline, it seems the butterflies are too!

Carole said...

I agree, Jo. I did get a Comma today but only the one. So sad isn't it?

G x

Hosta said...

I havent seen ladybird larvae before ! Infact, I havent seen many ladybirds about for ages either !!

Hold that thought that the little frog has hopped off and is doing well.

Not seen many butterflies here either, just some whites. Plenty of bees though :)