Saturday 6 June 2009

Ornamentals update


Dutch Iris is one of my favourite flowers but sadly I have only a few left in the garden now so I must but some more in the autumn. Also recently in bloom are Sambucus Niger (Elder), Alchemilla Mollis, Rue, Lychnis, Thyme, Digitalis and Viola. And next to come out will be Lily Lollipop, Hosta Tokudama and Fuchsia Ant and Dec.
I've been harvesting Pansy seeds again so sowed another lot in pot which I've put in the greenhouse. I've taken some Box cuttings (last year's are only just beginning to root!) and potted up a Fuchsia cutting which has rooted in water. And I've continued with the potting on including Heliotrope, Sunflowers, Cyclamen and Centratherum.
At last I've finished feeding all the containers and I've pretty much finished mulching the border with cocoa shell mulch except in the areas where I've sown seed direct. Of these direct sown seeds, so far only Nasturtium Empress of India has been successful - all ten seeds germinated and are making nice sturdy little plants. What came up of the Calendula have been eaten or failed to germinate and there is no sign yet of the Ipomoea. Perhaps the ones I broadcast a couple of weeks ago will fair better?
I'm just waiting for the early flowering plants such as Hesperis and Aquilegias to go over, then I'll be able to replace the containers with the scented Pelargoiums and Skimmias which are currently on the patio and that will make a bit more room for the annuals which are still in the greenhouse.
Georgie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at last the fuchsia's are rooting!!

Jo said...

I love Iris's too. I've already got them on my shopping list.
Can't wait to see your Fuchsia Ant and Dec after the problems I had with my own. I'm happy to say that after a severe pruning it looks to be growing back again but time will tell whether I've managed to save it or not.

Carole said...

It's been a while, Anon, but good things come to those who wait. :)

Fingers crossed for your Fuchsia, Jo. I'll take some cuttings of mine when I can 'just in case'. :)

G x