Monday 8 June 2009

Tadpoles




The tadpoles have developed their back legs and as you can see from the second photo (click to enlarge) are now able to get out of the pond. I've still only seen two together at any one time but even if that's all I have, I think I'm very fortunate that they have reached this stage of development.
Advice seems to vary as to whether or not they should be fed but I think I will leave them to their own devices for now. At this stage they become carnivorous and there are plenty of tiny insects around for them to eat. So I see little point in supplementing their diet with fish flakes or raw meat as some websites suggest.
Georgie

9 comments:

Flighty said...

Lucky you to have tadpoles!
I think that you're doing the right thing by not supplementing their diet. xx

Jo said...

It's great to see that they're growing after last years problems. It's been worthwhile changing your small water feature to your wildlife pond.

Carole said...

Thanks both. :) I'm getting hooked on pond life now, so much so I think I might lift another patio slab and put in a 'proper' pre-formed pond liner if I can find one small enough. I'm just a bit worried that this one is really too small and I could certainly do with more depth. We'll see. :D

G x

Flighty said...

Go for it! I would! xx

Jo said...

My pond is a Bermuda - The Cove. It comes up on a search on Google. It's ideal for a small garden, but gives that extra bit of depth.

Carole said...

Thanks for that info, Jo. It's much larger than the current one so will mean less room for growing things. Decisions, decisions.

G x

Jo said...

Ahhh, but you'll have more room to grow aquatic plants ;-)

Carole said...

Ha ha ha! :D

G x

Lia said...

Hi, I googled scented lillies and discovered your lovely website. Only just started to plant this year and already spend to much time in the garden, its addictive! Your garden is inspiring and the blog is great. I acquired chillie plants but they are still very small and yours have chillies. Am I doing something wrong or will they still fruit?
Everyone sounds really friendly and welcoming.
Lia