Friday 19 June 2009

Learning lessons


It would be very dull if I only ever grew the same plants year in, year out, but I do wish I'd take more notice of the notes I make about things that thrive and those that don't do so well for me. In the case of this lovely Chilli in the photo I was sensible. It thrived on my sunny windowsill last year and is doing well again this year. But on the other hand why did I put Chilli Trifetti out on the veg plot this year when last year I noted it was damaged by snails when young? Who knows, but I moved the two plants today and replaced them with bush Tomatoes.
And following the pathetic showing of the Peas (which I know full well are a waste of time in containers) earlier in the year, the Broad Beans are also beginning to look like a waste of space (just as they were last year). Okay, I've got a few pods setting, but that's hardly going to be meal is it? So that's it, I will not be growing Peas or Broad Beans in containers again.
As I've mentioned before I've been holding back the Cucumbers for as long as possible before planting them out - three to a half barrel - because of the snail problem. Checking the plants today I decided that I couldn't wait any longer as the roots were coming out of the bottom of the pots. So they have been planted out and topped with horticultural grit and I'll have to go out as dusk for the next week or so and pick off any naughty snails who are looking for a tasty snack!
Georgie

3 comments:

Flighty said...

I'm sure all gardeners learn lessons year on year.
It really looks like it's been a bad year for broad beans one way or another and I'm thinking twice about growing them next year.
Good luck with the cucumbers! xx

Carole said...

Thanks Flighty. I don't think I'd ever give up on the first attempt but if different varieties of the same crop fail after a couple of years then I reckon it's time to cut ones loses and grow something else.

G x

Jo said...

On the other hand, you will now have room next year to have a go at something different. I love trying new things, and although it's a shame that the things you want to grow don't perform so well for you, it gives you the room to have a go at something else.