Friday 5 June 2009

Edibles and wildlife update


Edibles
The photo shows part of my veg plot and goes to show that edibles can be at least as attractive as ornamental plants. The Chives flowers are going over now but the Broad Beans behind them are looking splendid and I was pleased to see the bees taking a lot of interest.
I've got the first flowers open on some of the Tomatoes and Chilli Trifetti and I think what might be a flower bud forming on the Courgette which I potted on and put outside because it was getting a bit too big for the greenhouse. The first fruits are forming on the Physallis and I'm delighted to see that one of my Alpine Strawberries has put out three runners.
I've potted on two of the Passiflora edulis I started from seed earlier in the year and they are looking nice and glossy if a little slow growing. I've also potted on Coriander and Chenopodium giganteum (Tree Spinach) but have yet to find homes for them.
Wildlife
I'm happy with the progress I'm making in the wildlife area of the garden. A young frog is now living in the pond - I think it must be one of last year's - and there are lots of insects enjoying the native plants I'm growing. But best of all the Lonicera I grew from a cutting in 2007 is covered in buds and will liven up the Forsythia no end. It joins the Ivy and Passiflora which are also growing up the Forsythia - talk about cramming 'em in!
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

It sounds as though everything is growing well. My tree spinach is only small, but already showing it's pink markings. It's a lovely colour, so unusual.
I enjoy the flowers on the veg plants too. Some of them are so colourful.

Flighty said...

Nice post,and lovely photo!
I agree that edibles are attractive to look at.
It's good to see that there's lots going on, and of interest, in both areas! xx

Carole said...

Hi Jo

Glad your Tree Spinach is growing well for you, are you going to try eating some?

Hi Flighty

Thanks for your kind comments as always. :)

G x