Monday 31 August 2009

Late Summer


There are a number of signs that autumn is not far off: the mornings are noticeably cooler; the nights are drawing in; there are glossy black berries on the Elder; the leaves on the Tree Spinach are starting to turn; and there are spiders' webs everywhere.
This weekend I've harvested Coriander, Physallis and Tomato Whippersnapper seeds and the Fennel isn't far behind. I pricked out Chives, Parsley and Hesperis and the Wallflowers and Aquilegias will be next.
This has been my best year ever for Cucumbers and Raspberries, the Tomatoes have also been good (although I won't growing 'Tumbling Tom' again as the flavour is poor) but I only got two Beetroots which was disappointing. I'm still pondering what to grow as my 'experimental edible' next year but I suspect it will probably be another fruit, as these seem to do much better in containers than vegetables.
I had a trip to my local nursery yesterday and picked up some bargains. First was Cordyline 'Torbay Red' shown in the photo. I've long fancied owning one and I love the colour of the leaves of this particular variety. It was only £5 and I think it looks rather good in this terracotta container. I've put it in the semi-shaded border (a bit of a risk as they like full sun) to add some autumn/winter colour. If it looks unhappy I'll move it to the sunny patio.
I was looking for plants for winter hanging baskets to complement the Pansies I've grown from seed, but I couldn't find anything suitable. So it looks as though I'll have to use the existing grasses and greenery again and refresh the compost. But as I wandered around I couldn't resist a few of their 99p herbs and bought a Salvia 'hot lips', another Monarda didyma and to my absolute delight a Myrtle in full bud! I also picked up an unnamed Hebe which has purple stems and young leaves.
I hit lucky in the container section too as many were half price. I wanted six for my plant stand and I managed to find five of the right size and colour. I decided to get them anyway in the hope I'll be able to pick up another one to match on a future visit.
Finally, I couldn't resist a wander around the spring bulbs. I think the shorter varieties look best in containers and I already have plenty saved from last year but I was certain I could squeeze in a few more. So I bought Narcissus Spring Dawn (a nice early variety), Narcissus Bellsong (one of my favourites) and Tulip Freeman, a nice apricot colour with the added bonus of fragrance.
Georgie

5 comments:

Flighty said...

I said the same thing at the start of my post yesterday!
I've just eaten a bowl of raspberries.
That cordyline looks most impressive, and was a bargain at that price.
Thanks for an interesting, and informative, post as always! xx

Carole said...

Eek did you, Flighty? Sorry, I wasn't copying, I've been too busy on my virtual farm to haunt my usual sites! Glad you like the post and the photo. :)

G x

Flighty said...

No worries, so have several other people! xx

Jo said...

I bought a similar Cordyline a few years ago. It cost me about £3.00 but it was only a small plant. It's grown and grown since then and has been repotted quite a few times.
I'm looking forward to hearing what your experimental edible will be next year.

Hosta said...

Hi Georgie

You are right, autumn is creeping in - what happened to summer ?

Sounds like you have had a good gardening year, apart from a few edibles not quite turning out to be as good as expected, but its all a learning experience.

I have learnt a few lessons this year too !