Monday 3 August 2009

On closer inspection


Wandering around the garden first thing I was pleased to see that my first Crystal Lemon Cucumber of the season is just about ready to pick. This fruit is on the 'spare' plant I couldn't bear to throw away and it's growing in a container squeezed into the sunny border. But this set me wondering why this plant was doing so well - it's covered in small fruits - whereas the Courgette in a container next to it seems to be struggling. So I decided to pull the container out of the border for a closer look.
First I discovered that the three little fruits (each about 10cm long) had been eaten from behind. Then, moving the foliage back I spotted the main problem immediately. The slimies (snails I think) have gnawed the growing stem so that it is only about half the thickness it should be. I can't help thinking that this means that the plant isn't able to take on board as much water as it needs for the fruits to develop properly and I suspect it also explains why the leaves are so badly affected with powdery mildew. I am so cross! Anyway, I've moved the plant to 'the sanctuary' but I don't hold out much hope for it. I won't rule out growing Courgettes again next year but I'm going have to have a rethink about varieties and location.
Georgie

1 comment:

Flighty said...

I've had no luck at all growing courgettes, or cucumbers, this year! xx