Saturday 8 August 2009

Taking it easy


This is the pretty Calendula 'Sherbet Fizz' which I managed to rescue after it was severely attacked by the slimies. I've had two flowers out so far and there are quite a few more buds to follow. So it's not going to be spectacular but it's special all the same.
August is a fairly quiet gardening month for me which means I have plenty of time to sit and watch the insects and plan for next year. Today for instance I think I saw my first ever humming bird hawk moth. That said it wasn't making a humming noise so perhaps it wasn't but it was certainly fascinating to watch on the Buddleia. There were plenty of bees and hoverflies around - the latter favouring the Fennel - and the usual white butterflies. I've even spotted a couple a native ladybirds this week which cheered me up after all the Harlequins of late.
Some of the seeds I've sown in the last couple of weeks have germinated including Ox-eye Daisies, Evening Primroses, Chives, Radish, Parsley and Spring Onion. I've potted on three French Lavender plants I grew from seed earlier this year but I have to say they are looking rather sickly. I've sown seeds of Wallflowers and Digitalis 'Tinkerbell' and newly in flower this month are Galtonia, Centratherum, Fuchsia Carmel Blue, Birds Foot Trefoil, Sunflower and Hyssop.
Tomorrow I'm going to Regents Park for a wander around and a picnic. It'll be interesting to see how their plants are fairing in this strange summer we are having in London.
Georgie

2 comments:

Flighty said...

I really like the pastel shades of the Sherbert Fizz.
Enjoy your time pottering and pondering!
Have a good day, and picnic, at Regents Park. xx

Carole said...

Thanks Flighty. We had a lovely day and the weather was just perfect. :)

G x