Saturday 5 September 2009

Enjoying my leave


The weather this week has been much better than forecast so I've been able to enjoy the first week of my fortnight's holiday pottering in my garden and visiting much grander ones.
The picture is of Myddleton House Gardens, the former home of plantsman EA Bowles. The garden is a modest four acres and I enjoyed a few hours wandering around in the sunshine marvelling particularly at all the beautiful trees. I'll definitely be going back in the autumn to enjoy the colours and again next spring to see the national Iris collection and the wild flower meadow. As I left I couldn't resist a look over the plants for sale and it seems that Myrtles are like buses, you wait for ages and then two come at once! After my 99p bargain last week there was another one shouting 'take me home' which I did, for the princely sum of £1.75. This one hasn't got any flower buds but it's nice and bushy so I just had to have it.
Yesterday I spent a couple of hours tidying up the front garden. The Pyracantha which my OH cut down to about 4 feet in the spring had shot up to about 8-10 feet again so that was given a further prune as was the Choisya Sundance and Lavender, both of which are growing too big for the space available. The whole thing needs a make over really but as we need new windows, I'll not do anything until next spring as I don't trust the builders not to trample on the plants. Then I think the Pyracantha and Choisya will have to go.
I've pricked out the Wallflowers which will be planted in containers with Tulips in autumn. I've also started potting up the Pansies in containers for some winter colour. There's lots more to do on that front including the hanging baskets.
When I was at the nursery last weekend I noticed that they are stocking a new Organic and peat free compost by Miracle Grow. It's not cheap at £4.99 for a 56 litre sack but I thought I'd give it a try. When I opened a sack yesterday the compost was black and crumbly with no unpleasant odour (unlike the New Horizon compost I bought earlier in the year which was woody with the odd sack smelling a bit unpleasant). I'll be using it for my spring containers so it'll be interesting to see how it fairs.
Georgie

4 comments:

Jo said...

It looks like a lovely place to visit. So glad that the weather was better than forcast for you.
Do report back on the compost. It's good to get a review, and hopefully a favourable recommendation.

Carole said...

Will do, Jo. Being peat-free isn't as easy as you'd expect, is it? I'm still having to buy some composts which contain peat as I cannot find a suitable John Innes No 3 replacement nor indeed a seed & cutting compost. It's so frutrating. G x

Flighty said...

It's good to see you making the most of the relatively good weather, both in your own garden and visiting a grander one!
I think that I'd rather pay that price for good quality compost than buy a cheaper one that turns out to be rather rubbishy. xx

Carole said...

Oh, I agree entirely Flighty. But before I tried to buy peat-free products I was very happy indeed with Levington's MP and at 3 x 75 bags for £12 that's a considerable difference. What I can't understand is why the peat-free mixes are so much more expensive whilst at the same time rarely as good. Answers on a post card please!

G x