Thursday 10 September 2009

Annuals, Bees, Berries and Seeds


Over the last few years I have steadily reduced the number of flowering annuals I grow but there will always be some that I simply have to have. The bee pictured here is on a Centratherum plant (technically a short lived perennial I believe but grown as an annual). This plant has surpassed my expectations: it's drought tolerant; forms nice bushy plants about 40-60cm high; has pineapple scented leaves; doesn't suffer from any pests or diseases: and is still covered in these lovely lavender coloured blooms which will go on until the first frosts. And as I have no success with Asters, I think it makes a very good substitute.
Other 'must have' annuals are Laurentia, Nasturtiums, Poppies and trailing Sweet Peas, all of which produce plenty of seed to save year on year. In addition to these plants I will also be growing Ipomoea and Calendula next year and (if I can find it) a dwarf Nicotiana to grow in containers. I love Nicotiana but the varieties I've tried in the past have just grown too tall.
This week I've sowed more Pansy (in the hope of getting more of the beautiful lavender flowers) and Sweet Cicely seeds, a new venture for me. Some of the Sweet Pea pods have gone dry and crisp so these have been harvested, with lots more to follow.
I made a dreadful mistake with the self-saved seeds of Tomato Whippersnapper. I'd read that if you leave them in water for a few days the pulp around the seed goes mouldy and floats to the top of the water, leaving behind clean seed. This seemed preferable to my previous method of rubbing them around in a metal sieve until my fingers are raw so I thought I'd give it a try. Sure enough, after a few days some of the pulp did float to the surface which I skimmed off but some was left behind so I left them for another couple of days. Imagine my horror when I checked them again to see that every one of them had begun to root!
Finally there are further signs of autumn approaching with lots of berries on the Ivy, Honeysuckle and Jasmine and huge orange fruits on the Passiflora. The birds are in for a treat.
Georgie

4 comments:

Flighty said...

I've been thinking about what flowers I'll be growing next year and it looks like I'll be adding Centratherum to the list!
I've got a note to send you some Calendula seeds, of which I've collected plenty.
At the moment the ivy on the allotment boundary is attracting the bees! xx

Carole said...

Don't buy any yet, Flighty. If I havest any you are welcome to some. :)

G x

Jo said...

I've never saved my own tomato seeds as I've usually grown F1's. A kind poster on A4A has sent me some Whippersnapper seeds to try next year, and I also want to have a go at growing a couple of other heirlooms too.
The T&M catalogue arrived yesterday, so I've been glancing through the flowers wondering what to grow next year. I love Nicotiana too, but like you, would like to try a dwarf variety if I can find one. Please let me know if you come across one. I'm also on the look out for flowers for the allotment which can be cut to bring home. Already on my wish list are some small Sunflowers and some Zinnia.

Jo said...

I've left you an award/meme on my blog, G.