Saturday 19 September 2009

Still gathering and blooming


I'm sorry that the photo is slightly out of focus but these are Cucumber Richmond Green Apple. I've only grown one plant but it has been prolific and these four were picked yesterday. They are the size of large Kiwi fruits and are beautifully crunchy with a good flavour. I've run out of seed now so it will have to go on my wish list for next year. And the other edibles are performing just as well as I'm still picking plenty of Tomatoes, Physallis, Chillies and Raspberries.
A day of rain in the week meant I could no longer put off mowing and edging the grass but it wasn't enough to satisfy the container grown plants so they all got a thorough watering today. Nothing is going over yet and I'm getting a lovely late show of colour from Fuchsias, Nasturtiums, Laurentia, Heliotrope, Dianthus, Pelargoniums and even a few Dianthus and Sweet Peas. This is of course good news on the one hand, but things are getting rather desperate in the greenhouses because there are lots of small plants in there waiting to be planted out and they are outgrowing their pots. So I was left with no choice but to pot on Ox-eye Daisies, Solanum, Polemonium, Aquilegias, Hesperis, Euonymous and Cyclamen.
On the seed front I pricked out Aquilegia Clementine White, Digitalis Tinkerbell and Blue Fescue. I collected seeds from Hyssop, more Sweet Peas, Nasturtiums and Tomatoes and sowed a few more Pansies. I've also taken some Fuchsia and Bay cuttings. I just can't help myself!
Georgie

4 comments:

Flighty said...

Still busy and with lots going on I see! My nasturtiums and sweet peas have also still been doing well.
You wouldn't be a proper gardener if you could help yourself! xx

Carole said...

Yes Flighty, the seasons seems to merge into each other don't they? I managed to pot up four containers of spring bulbs today (topped off with Pansies) but I won't be able to do any more until the annuals have finished.

G x

Eileen said...

I have a whole new bed to think about for next year, must go and buy some spring bulbs and get them in at least. I feel didnt do much gardening this year because of all the work we were having done, but there is always next year...... Yay! Looks like you have had a good year G.

Jo said...

Those cucumbers look great for lunchboxes. I must look out for some seed.
I'm still having to water here too, but not as often, which makes it a little easier.