Saturday 3 October 2009

What a difference a week makes


Last Saturday was glorious and I spent a very enjoyable day/evening by the Thames in Surbiton where I captured this sunset. Today by comparison has been dull and extremely windy and it's even threatening to rain.
There's not a lot to say about the garden at the moment as things remain much the same as last time I wrote. I'm gradually emptying containers as plants go over replacing the contents with spring bulbs and winter Pansies. I'm still harvesting everything I've grown this year with the exception of Physallis although things are slowing down. And I continue to gather seeds.
I am pleased to say that my local nursery is now stocking peat free organic compost (have I mentioned that before?) and I had a trip there today for a couple more sacks as I was getting low. I also bought a dozen cream and yellow Pansies for the hanging baskets as the ones I'd planned to use (grown from seed) have been used in the pots of spring bulbs.
The Organic Gardening Catalogue arrived this week and for the first time ever there is nothing I want. It's not that the selection isn't to my taste, just that I'm pretty well made up for seeds now and room is at a premium.
Georgie

3 comments:

Flighty said...

Terrific photo!
It's the start of what I call ticking over time, especially once the clocks change and we head into winter.
The cream and yellow pansies sound rather delightful.
Nothing you want...that's surprising! I'm still trying to sort out want I really need, as opposed to what I'd like!

Carole said...

Thank you. It ain't bad considering we'd had a good few glasses of wine by the time I took it! As for the seeds I was lying. There's plenty I want - just no room. :D

G x

Jo said...

We had much the same day as you on Saturday, blustery and drizzling. We haven't had a good downpour for weeks though now.
I've had a few seed catalogues dropping through my door lately. I just haven't had the time to have a good look through them yet.