Saturday 10 October 2009

Mixed up seasons


This is one of the hanging baskets I've planted up for winter to add a bit of cheer. The Pansies replace the Sweet Peas, Dianthus and Birds Foot Trefoil which flowered all summer and as you can see from the photo the evergreen trailing ivy-like plant (I must find out what it is) has taken on some nice autumnal hues.
More signs of autumn in the garden this week include some fungi, buds on the Fatsia, lots more seed heads on the Ivy, ripening berries on a number of shrubs and leaves beginning to fall. On the other hand summer is clinging on: the annuals continue to bloom; I have some flowers on the Jasmine (which is very late); the Raspberries and Alpine Strawberries also have one or two flowers and I'm continuing to harvest a few fruits along with a smattering of ripe Chillies and Tomatoes. And it's not only me enjoying all these late flowers, there are still a few bees around too.
I was at a work-related conference on Thursday and Friday where I knew very few of the one hundred or so delegates. Well, I'm not sure if I have 'gardener' stamped on my forehead but only a matter of minutes after I arrived I was chatting to a chap who had just acquired an allotment! Then the following day I got deeply involved in a discussion about composting techniques and the merits of Viper's Bugloss. Gardening certainly brings people together.
Now, I know I said in my last post that I was pretty well made up for seeds but a gardener cannot resist a bargain and I did rather well in the Chiltern Seeds sale (only buying things on my wish list). So on the annual front I bought dwarf Nicotiana 'Nicki Lime' and Tagetes 'Tangerine Gem' which I've read (but don't believe) is slug/snail resistant. On the HP front I bought Centaurea Montana (mountain Cornflower) and Dicentra Scadens 'Golden Tears'. And on the edible front I bought Onion 'Paris Silverskin' and Tomato 'Gardener's Delight'.
Georgie

4 comments:

Jo said...

I didn't think you would resist buying more seeds. I will have to have a look at Chiltern's.
Your hanging basket is lovely. I was supposed to be doing mine this week, but still haven't bought the plants. I think I will plant it with Pansies again.

Carole said...

Hi Jo and please forgive my tardiness in commenting on your blog and replying to your PMs - I just don't know where the time goes these days. I'm sure I could spare a few seeds from my order if there is anything you fancy. :)

G x

Flighty said...

As Jo says that's a lovely hanging basket.
Unlike you I surprised myself by resisting getting anything from Chiltern Seeds!
Thanks for a delightful, and busy, read as always! xx

Carole said...

Awww, thanks Mike. Same offer of seeds (and apology for not commenting on your blog) applies to you of course, and btw the Centratherum seeds are in the post. :)

G x