Sunday 1 March 2009

More Surprises


What a difference a week makes at this time of year. All the Crocus Ruby Giant are up now, many with two or three flower buds each. I found it hard to know which photo to put up but opted for this one to depict the flower and leaf detail - I'm really pleased with them. (The little sharp sticks are to keep my cat off by the way!) When the bulbs have finished flowering I will give them a feed with chicken pellets and a top mulch in the hope that they will put on a similar display next year. The other things newly in flower this week are Narcissus Tete a Tete and Vinca minor, whilst the Forsythia buds have coloured up nicely but have yet to open.
The weather today was overcast but mild so I was able to spend a good few hours in the garden. I sowed some Peas, cut back the remainder of the hardy Fuchsias and pruned back the Buddleia in the border to about four feet. Then I trimmed the lawn edges and thinned out the Briza maxima seedlings (self-seeded) which were threatening to choke some of the other plants.
Pottering around there were lots more signs of new life. Perennials Lychnis Arkwrightii Vesuvius, Cuckoo Flower and Welsh Poppy all have new shoots emerging, the Hermodactylus Tuberosa planted in late autumn are beginning to peak through the soil and three of my Lilies - White Heaven, Lollipop and Emporium - have broken their dormancy. On the other hand there is no sign yet of the Lily of the Valley or the Bluebells.
On the seed front at long last the Garlic Mustard - which has been in the greenhouse since July - has germinated, whilst on the kitchen windowsill Chilli Trifetti and Asclepias emerged within about 8-10 days. The seed potatoes continue to thrive and have sturdy shoots about one centimetre long. I haven't sown any more seeds indoors indoors yet. I'll leave that for a couple more weeks at which point I'll need to set up my windowsill shelf to get the double-decker effect and make best use of the space available.
Georgie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that I commented here yesterday!
I see that you've been busy. There's lots to look at, and indeed do, at this time of year as we head into spring.
Nice photo, as are the ones on A4A.
Your garden is going to look a real treat later on that's for sure! xx

Carole said...

Thanks Flighty. Yesterday I noiced that some of the Crocus were open so I'll have to get out there with the camera as the insides are gorgeous too. As for the garden 'looking a treat' this year that's the general idea but we'll have to wait and see. It looks like I've lost my Ox Eye Daisy which I'm a bit upset about but on the otherhand it will mean more room to squeeze in some of those plants I'm planning to grow from seed in the next few weeks.

G x

Anonymous said...

Its all bursting into life now Georgie !

I have a few things emerging too.
Daffs in my pots are up and a couple are opened YAY - I love daffs !!

I planted bluebells and they have green shoots through, dont know if they will flower this year, this is the first time I have had them.

I have plenty seed to sow, but havent started yet, gonna give it a couple of more weeks. Will sow sweet peas at weekend though.

Looking forward to having my garden sorted - roll on April !!

Carole said...

Hi Eileen, thanks for your message. It's been a beautiful sunny day here today but very cold. I had a wander around the garden and my Narcissus Jet Fire are now out to join the Tete a Tete but there is still no sign of the Bluebells.

Georgie