Sunday 8 March 2009

More done today


These are my seed potatoes 'Swift' which I hope to plant out next weekend. They will be grown in an old 56 litre compost sack which I've prepared by turning it inside out, folding down the sides, adding lots of drainage holes and putting a good layer of crocks in the bottom. I'll add at least 10cm of potting compost to the bottom of the sack before I plant the potatoes, then as I earth them up I'll turn up the sides of the bag. I've never tired this before so it's a bit of an experiment. Watch this space.
It was a lovely sunny morning so I was in the garden early. In the sunny border I dug out an old Lavender bush which had gone rather woody and replaced it with the Salvia (common Sage) I bought yesterday. It was a tricky job because there are lots of Alliums coming up and some other bulbs too - which for the life of me I can't recall planting so I have no idea what they are! I added lots of short sticks to keep my cat off the newly dug soil and put in some plant supports for the Aquilegias which are a mound of lovely fresh new leaves.
I emptied a few more pots of their contents from last year and planted some bulbs of Lily Longiflorum 'White Paradise'. These are heavily scented and should be out in late June/early July. I potted up four over-wintered plants of Hesperis (Sweet Rocket) and found space to squeeze them into the shady border. Then it became very overcast and I just had time to grab seed compost, pots, seive etc before the heavens opened.
In the kitchen - it's just as well I'm the cook - I started to prick out some of the seeds. The first were Asclepias incarnata (Milkweed), then Chilli Trifetti and finally Alliaria petiolata (Garlic Mustard). Then I decided to sow just one lot of seeds and opted for Physallis (the Pineapple flavoured one). These were so successful last year that three plants produced more than I could eat and I was taking bags into work to give away. I hope they do as well this year.
Georgie

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those shoots are looking really healthy. You should get lots of lovely growth once they are planted. If you're planning on planting them next weekend just be careful of any frosts which are forcast.

My Alliums are also shooting now. I haven't grown Allium before, so I'm looking forward to them coming into flower.

Jo.

Carole said...

Hi Jo

Thanks for that, I did wonder if they were as expected as I've never grown them before.

Once you've started with Alliums believe me you will be hooked. I guess they have a short growing season compared to other plants but they are so intricate - and the hoverflies and bees love them. :D

G x

Anonymous said...

Those potatoes are looking good! It'll be interesting to see how you get on with your experimental growing!
I've done virtually nothing on the plot over the weekend but hope to do a bit during the week.
Have a good week! xx

Carole said...

Hi Flighty. Oh dear, I hope the inactivity on your plot this weekend is down to the weather or being busy and not ill health? Glad you think the potatoes are looking good - I'd hate to mess up after you were so kind to send them to me. I will keep you posted on progress.

G x

Anonymous said...

Your seed potatoes are more forward than mine but I did start chitting after you. I have Maris Bard and Pentland Javelin. Most will be grown in containers but think I will have to grow a few direct in the garden.
My Alliums which you kindly sent me (2 years ago?) are just peeping through. They were excellent last year.

Anonymous said...

Rest assured that I'm fine! I spent yesterday morning on the plot forking over most of the vegetable patch which is now ready for some potatoes, onions and broad beans to be planted or sown towards the end of the month.
I'm sure that you won't mess up, but will end up with lots of tasty spuds! xx

Carole said...

Hi Lorna, how lovely to see you here. :) Was it Allium Purple Sensation I sent you? If so I agree they are lovely although for some reason mine were a bit 'floppy' last year and I ended up having to stake them.

Good to hear that you are well, Flighty. I had no luck with Broad Beans last year - only got about three pods if I recall correctly but that might have been down to the weather? (They were a dwarf variety of 'The Sutton'.) I'm not bothering this year.

G x

Anonymous said...

Hi Georgie.
Yes they were Purple Sensation. I remember sending you a pic and you commented that mine were better than yours last year. Praise indeed

Anonymous said...

Mine look similar to yours, my tubs are ready and waiting.
I hope we are all lucky with our potatoes !!

Carole said...

LOL@Lorna. :D

Yes Hosta, I'm looking forward to comparing all our efforts later this year.

Georgie