Sunday 29 March 2009

Harvest!


It doesn't matter how many times I harvest my compost I'm always amazed by it - isn't nature wonderful? This batch has been in the bin for about nine months and as you can see it's very well composted. I wanted it to top dress a small area of the border so there was no need to sieve out the little bits of woody plant material still in it.
The compost was for where my Ox-eye Daisy was growing last year but which for some reason died over winter. In its place I planted out a Rue cutting I took last year and later on I'll sow some annuals to fill the space until the reaches a decent size. At that point I'll be able to take out one of the other Rue plants which is too near the front of the border (and a bit passed its best) thus making space for some lower growing insect friendly plants.
I sowed seeds of two tropical climbers today having soaked them over night to soften the outer coating. They are Passiflora edulis and Clitoria ternatea. Neither are easy to grow but I'm hoping they will germinate on my sunny windowsill. If they do take I'll be growing them at the back of the sunny border to cheer up the Ivy. If they don't take I've got plenty of climbing Nasturtium seeds which are very reliable and will do a similar job.
Georgie

7 comments:

Flighty said...

I look forward to using my own compost on a regular basis now I've finally got my new compost bin built! xx

Carole said...

Hi Flighty

What's the capacity of your new bin and how will you be using your 'black gold'? Mine is only 220 litres and there are certain times of the year when I could fill two or even three of that size but sadly I don't have room for any more. Thank goodness my local authority has an excellent recycling scheme.

G x

Jo said...

I love harvesting my own compost. It amazes me how all the yucky things I put in there turns into such good garden material.

I've got a 330 litre 'darlek' but I could fill this over and over.

Now that I've got my allotment I will be able to take further waste down there to compost. I'm thinking of also moving my 'darlek' down there so that it's not such an eyesore in my garden.

Jo.

Flighty said...

It's about 3 feet cube. Following a plot neighbour's advice I'll put just about everything in it, chop it well with a spade, fork it over occasionally and use in the spring. Most will probably go on the vegetable area. xx

Carole said...

So everyone's is bigger than mine then. Typical! :D

Will you get a smaller one for your garden, Jo? I think you'll miss it if you don't have one at all 'on hand'.

G x

Jo said...

I actually never thought about downsizing the one in the garden but that's a really good idea. Leeds City Council do subssidised ones, 220l for £8 or 330l for £10. I could go for the smaller one, and they also do the kitchen caddies for £2 so I might get one of those too.

Jo.

Carole said...

Sounds like a plan, Jo, glad to be of service. :D

G x

PS Thanks for the publicity on Shoot!