Saturday 28 March 2009

Lots in bloom


We've had sunshine and showers all week and lots more things have come into flower as a result. The picture is of one of my Honesty plants which has been flowering for a couple of weeks but newly out (and yet to be photographed) are Pulmonaria,Leucojum aestivum, Narcissus Chinita, Dicentra Spectabilis f.alba, Spotted Laurel, Marsh Marigold, and Tulips 'Yellow Emperor' and 'Praetens Fusilier'. There are lots of buds on the Kerria and a good few on the Dicentra Formosa too.
A cold wind and frequent heavy rain/hail showers meant I couldn't get out in the garden today so I had to content myself with turning my kitchen into a potting shed! The first job was to pot up the six Galtonias I grew from seed last year into a large container. Last year the leaves looked like spring onions but this year they are far sturdier - although I suspect that the plants will not flower until next year. Staying with the same theme I potted on five Dianthus 'Siberian Blues', seven Pelargonium 'Candy Dancer', six Pelargonium Quercifolium and a couple of red zonal Pelargoniums. I also pricked out the best six Pineapple Physallis into individual 9cm pots.
Then it was seed sowing time. On the edible front I sowed some Radish edible leaf and three varieties of Tomato - Tumbling Tom, Micro and Whippersnapper. And on the ornamental side French Lavender, Welsh Poppy, Pansy, Thunbergia Fragrans, Centratherum, Aquilegia Clementine White, Laurentia, Geranium Pratense and Heliotrope Marine. Where I am going to put all these flowers if they grow (not to mention all the ones I have yet to sow) I have no idea! Some will go in pots on the patio and the rest will be squeezed in where I can find space for them in the border or given away to friends.
I did manage a quick walk about today and I have to report a minor disaster. The three 'slug resistant' Hostas I planted out back in the autumn are all showing signs of growing but one, 'Invincible', has had its leading main unfurled leaf almost completely eaten through. Not very well named is it? Still the plants were free - I only had to pay postage and packing - and nothing ventured, nothing gained. I often read queries on garden message boards asking what plants slugs and snails don't eat. I'm beginning to get a fair idea now. Maybe there is a book in that when I retire?
Georgie

No comments: