Saturday 4 October 2008

Review of flowering annuals


I grew ten different flowering annuals this year with varying degrees of success. The most disappointing was Ipomoea Alba, the Moon Vine, which failed to flower, probably due to lack of prolonged sunshine. Also poor was the Calendula, which I'm certain was down to seed quality and Swan River Daisies which were neither prolific nor scented as promised on the packet. But everything else has earned its keep. The Nicotiana Affinis white (pictured) is still flowering well and coping with the difficult conditions I mentioned yesterday. I've saved seeds for next year. As ever the Laurentia Axilliaris has put on a wonderful show and is still producing lots of buds. The self-saved Nasturtiums - trailing mixed and Milkmaid - have looked good in a hanging basket in the wild area and continue to flower. The Sunflowers didn't last very long but were attractive whilst they were out. I'll be saving some seed for next year and leaving the rest for the birds. The Thunbergia was something new and I've been very pleased with it. Next year I'm growing a scented variety. And finally Heliotrope Marine was my favourite of the lot. The scent hits you as soon as you open the kitchen door - and that's with only three plants - the dark foliage is very attractive and there are new buds on it yet to open. So that's another one I will definitely be growing next year.

I said the other day that the only thing left to flower in the garden was the Chrysanthemums and the Fatsia. How did I manage to forget my beautiful Pineapple Sages? I've got three of these plants which are about three to four feet tall growing in pots in the semi-shade. Walking round the garden this morning I noticed that one of them has got a number of buds on it. The flowers are one of the brightest scarlets you can get so I can't wait!

Georgie

No comments: